.. new data, released this past week, enable us to better assess county and metro business establishment patterns .. these data help businesses understand how sales of their products and services align with markets .. what counties might be underserved? .. where should marketing and sales operations be ramped up or reduced in scope/reallocated? .. what do these tell us us about organization of market territories? how are these characteristics trending by county? Use the this interactive table to examine business establishments characteristics by county and metro by type of business. See more detail in the related Web section about topics covered in this post.
• U.S. establishments rose 1.2% from 7,663,938 in 2015 to 7,759,807 in 2016.
• First quarter employment was up 2.1% from 124,085,947 to 126,752,238
• Annual payroll was up 2.9% from $6.3 trillion in 2015 to $6.4 trillion in 2016.
Based on the 2016 data (new April 2018), there are 7.3 million establishments in Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs). In these MSAs ..
• 5.3 million establishments have fewer than 10 employees.
• 6,522 of these establishments have 1,000 or more employees.
• 374 of these establishments have 5,000 or more employees.
MSAs by Number of Establishments with 1,000 or more Employees
The following graphic shows Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) by number of establishments with 1,000 or more employees. Click graphic for larger view view showing metros labeled with number of these establishments. Expand brower to full window for best quality view.
.. View developed with CV XE GIS software and related GIS project.
Business Establishment Characteristics Updated in Metro Reports
Examine 2014, 2015, 2016 mini trend profiles for establishments by 2-digit sector in Metro Situation & Outlook Reports Choose any MSA by clicking column 3 in this table .. then view section 6.3. Examples:
New York .. Los Angeles .. Miami .. Chicago .. Dallas .. Houston .. Denver .. Seattle
Gain insights into these types of patterns by county by detailed type of business (NAICS). Use the interactive table below to examine business establishment characteristics for counties and metros of interest. Data reviewed in this section are based on the Census-sourced County Business Patterns released in April 2018. We have integrated current population estimates with the establishment data in the interactive table.
Tools You Can Use
• create maps and geospatially analyze business establishments at 6-digit industry detail with ready-to-use GIS project/tools .. see related section for details.
• Use the APIGateway tools to build custom business establishment datasets.
• Use the interactive table to query/view sort business establishment characteristics by county and metro.
Data Analytics Web Sessions
Join me in a Data Analytics Web Session, every Tuesday, where we review access to and use of data, tools and methods relating to GeoStatistical Data Analytics Learning. We review current topical issues and data — and how you can access/use tools/data to meet your needs/interests.
About the Author
Warren Glimpse is former senior Census Bureau statistician responsible for innovative data access and use operations. He is also the former associate director of the U.S. Office of Federal Statistical Policy and Standards for data access and use. He has more than 20 years of experience in the private sector developing data resources and tools for integration and analysis of geographic, demographic, economic and business data. Contact Warren. Join Warren on LinkedIn.