.. use tools described here to access block group data from ACS 2016 (or ACS2017 in December 2018) using a no cost, menu driven tool accessing the data via API. Select from any of the summary statistic data. Save results as an Excel file or shapefile. Add the shapefile to a GIS project and create unlimited thematic pattern views. Add your own data. Join us in a Data Analytics Web session where use of the tool with the ACS 2017 data is reviewed.
See related Web section for more details.
– examine neighborhoods, market areas and sales territories.
– assess demographics of health service areas.
– create maps for visual/geospatial analysis of locations & demographics.
Topics in this how-to guide (links open new sections/pages)
• 01 Objective Thematic Pattern Map View
• 02 Install the CV XE GIS software
• 03 Access/Download the Block Group Demographic-Economic Data
• 04 Download the State by Block Group Shapefile
• 05 Merge Extracted Data (from 03) into Shapefile (04)
• 06 Add Shapefile to the GIS Project; Set Intervals
• 07 Viewing Profile for Selected Block Group
• 08 BG Demographics Spreadsheet
• 09 Block Group Demographics GIS Project
• 10 Why Block Group Demographics are Important
Data Analytics Web Sessions
Join me in a Data Analytics Lab session to discuss more details about accessing and using wide-ranging demographic-economic data and data analytics. Learn more about using these data for areas and applications of interest.
About the Author
— Warren Glimpse is former senior Census Bureau statistician responsible for innovative data access and use operations. He is also the former associate director of the U.S. Office of Federal Statistical Policy and Standards for data access and use. He has more than 20 years of experience in the private sector developing data resources and tools for integration and analysis of geographic, demographic, economic and business data. Contact Warren. Join Warren on LinkedIn.