.. tip of the day .. a continuing weekly or more frequent tip on developing, integrating, accessing and using geographic, demographic, economic and statistical data. Join in .. tip of the day posts are added to the Data Analytics Blog on an irregular basis, normally weekly. Follow the blog to receive updates as they occur. Options and tools for accessing and using median household income by school district are outlined below.
Richmond & Henrico County, VA School Districts
– patterns of median household income by census tract; an illustration.
– often drill-down geography, like census tracts, is needed.
– click graphic for larger view.
.. view developed with ProximityOne CV XE GIS and related GIS project.
Accessing/Using Median Household Income by School District
.. the most recent estimate of median household income for school districts is as of 2014. These data are based on the American Community Survey (ACS2014) 5-year and 1-year estimates. See details about other years and longitudinal data below in this section. The subject matter “median household income” is used here but other wide-ranging subject matter can be accessed/analyzed using options described below.
Number and Type of Schools Districts — ACS 2014 tabulation areas
– 2013-2014 school year; as of January 1, 2014
|Geographic Areas||1-year estimates||5-year estimates|
|population of 65,000+||all areas|
|School District (Elementary)||74||2,181|
|School District (Secondary)||88||538|
|School District (Unified)||842||10,923|
Option 1. Use the interactive table:
– go to http://proximityone.com/sd14dp3.htm (5-year estimates)
– median household income is item E086.
– scroll left on the table until E086 appears in the header column
– this column shows the data for E086 for all school districts
– see usage notes below table.
Option 2. Use the API operation:
– 5-year estimates for unified school districts in Arizona …
– median houshold income (MHI) is item B19013_001E.
– click this link to get B19013_001E (MHI) using the API tool.
.. this API must be used on a state-by-state basis.
.. the state FIPS code must be the last two characters in the URL.
– a new page displays showing a line/row for each school district.
– MHI appears on the left, then school district name and then codes.
– optionally save this file and import the data into a preferred program.
– more about API tools.
– more about using 1-year and 5-year estimates.
Option 3. View the median household income in context of other attributes for a school district.
– click this link to select a school district of interest.
– click link to view school district report (request a district).
– when report displays, scroll down in table to the household income section.
See the related section on school district community.
This section is focused on median household income and school districts. Many other subject matter items will be apparent when these methods are used. Optionally adjust above details to view different subject matter for school districts.
Data for Other Years & Longitudinal Data
Annual data for median household income by school district are available from the American Community Survey as summarized below.
|ACS Year||School Year||Boundary as of:|
|2009||2008-2009||January 1, 2008|
|2010||2009-2010||January 1, 2010|
|2011||2009-2010||January 1, 2010|
|2012||2011-2012||January 1, 2012|
|2013||2011-2012||January 1, 2012|
|2014||2013-2014||January 1, 2014|
Join me in a Data Analytics Lab session to discuss more details about accessing and using children’s demographics, schools and school districts data and data analytics . Learn more about using these data for areas and applications of interest.
About the Author
— Warren Glimpse is former senior Census Bureau statistician responsible for innovative data access and use operations. He is also the former associate director of the U.S. Office of Federal Statistical Policy and Standards for data access and use. He has more than 20 years of experience in the private sector developing data resources and tools for integration and analysis of geographic, demographic, economic and business data. Contact Warren. Join Warren on LinkedIn.